Bus Shelter Art
REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS
Public Art Bus Shelter Program in Clemson, SC 1250 Tiger Blvd., Clemson, SC 29631
The Public Arts and Culture Commission (PACC) is seeking artists or artist teams (referred to as “Candidates”) with experience in creating public art that fosters a unique sense of place to create 2-D artwork for bus shelters in Clemson.
PACC and CATBus are partnering to commission artists or artist teams to create public art that will enrich our community and to improve ridership experience.
- Artwork with designs promoting community are encouraged
- The artwork may relate to the location in design and content. For example, art could connect visually to the site or interpret historical, environmental, decorative, architectural, scientific, or cultural aspects of the site.
- Artists should consider that shelters are experienced by bus users as well as passers-by on foot and in vehicles.
- The Artwork will be installed for up to three years. Artwork may be open to the elements (i.e. weather damage, graffiti, theft) and any permanent damage to the artwork may result in its early removal.
The bus shelter can display different images on the panels or one piece over the panels. PACC will pay for the printing of the art onto translucent display film and install. The front of the artwork will face the inside of the shelter. Please take note that there is a bench on the inside of the bus shelter. You can submit a design for one of all of the bus shelters.
Upper Lofts on Cochran Road: Three panels 70 1/2 “ long and 29 ½” wide
Cochran at Calhoun – Across from the AGR House: Six panels 70 ½ long and 24” wide
Clemson church of God at Calhoun Street: Three panels 701/2” and 30” Wide
Cochran Road at Oakledge Apartment Entrance: Four panels 68 ½ long and 24 ½ wide
West Lane – CATbus Headquarters: Four panels 70 1/2 “long and 22 ½ wide
Downtown Clemson at the old Astro Theater now the Junkyard: 4 panels. 80” long and 42 ½” wide. The panels, only at the old Astro Theater location, have the following design on the glass.
This RFP is open to all residents of South Carolina. Candidates must be eligible to work in the United States, and any age. Any artist younger than 18 will need a guardian to sign a consent form if work is chosen. The City encourages people from diverse backgrounds to apply. Candidates are eligible regardless of race, color, ethnicity, religion, national original, gender, gender identification, military status, sexual orientation, marital status, or physical ability.
Submission must be received by June 10th by 11:59 p.m. EST and shall include the following:
- Statement of interest: narrative outlining your qualifications and interest in this project
- Separate 300 DPI files for each panel.
Please send submissions to Allison Gantte, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Designs, for each shelter, will be chosen by PACC, CATBus, and The Arts Center of Clemson Community feedback will be collected via a Google Survey.
- May 16th Release of Request for Proposals for Bus Shelters
- June 10th by 11:59 p.m. EST – Submission deadline
- June 14th PACC, CATBus and The Arts Center of Clemson to review submissions
- June 20th – June 24th Designs shared with community for feedback via Google Survey
- June 28th - Notify artist/artists’ teams of decision
- July 1st - Final Designs shared with community
- July 18th – 27th -Installation of artwork
- Chosen artist/artist teams will receive $500
- PACC will pay for printing and installation of the artwork